May 22-July 10, 2012

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pennsylvania---"There were 11 thunderstorms while you were gone, 11, you were right, he doesn't like them and just so you know...I am a dog person, but that is not a dog, that is evil with a dog face that humps my leg and is peeing on your carpet."


We had decided all of us would ride out together in the morning and Karen and Patty would head back to the truck at 20 miles. Wayne was a big help in tweaking my route through Erie and generously offered us his driveway to leave the truck. He is an avid cyclist who enjoys mountain biking and touring. Wayne works for Welch's, the largest employer in the area. He also makes wine. All kinds of wine. I wish we could have stayed longer to sample it. Thank you so much, Wayne, for allowing 4 women to take over your basement.












Our route was pretty simple...back to Highway 5, ride west along Lake Erie, and then turn south at S on Highway 215. We jogged over to Albion, and then rode south the rest of the day on Highway 18. I was disappointed that we didn't get to see more of Lake Erie. I thought we would be riding right next to it, but most of the time, we couldn't even see it. Traffic was light and the road surface was good so we made good time and when we got to Erie, Karen and Patty turned around.








This route is also called Pennsylvania bike route Z. It was well marked and all of us loved it. I am grateful to people like Joe and Carolyn from Dallastown who work as advocates with the state to designate and sign routes like these. Joe and Carolyn were my very first Warm Showers hosts. I was doing a cross country tour and they met me because they thought the route to their house would be too hilly, took me out for ice cream, and gave me a nice comfy bed. The next morning they fed me and rode with me the first 20 miles or so. They are tireless ambassadors for cycling, and an inspiration to me personally.




We rode by Lake Conneaut where Wayne told me there is a place where there are so many carp they literally swim on top of each other. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see that, but we did see a lot of boats...well, it sorta reminded me of the carp. I finished the day with 100.6 miles, 2784' of elevation gain, and an average of 14.3








We finished early and drove to Tomlinson State Park where we camped for the night. Tomorrow we will ride West Virginia. MapMyRide has the elevation gain at about 3900', and they have been off by more than 100% several times. Lord, have mercy...
maybe you can't...because you won't...

2 comments:

  1. cindi, The state did those routes. Joe helped our friend Billdo
    Route S. Bill worked on most of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Carolyn, Joe & Bill! And way to go Cindi, I am really enjoying your blog. Peg in PA

    ReplyDelete