May 22-July 10, 2012

Friday, June 1, 2012

Oklahoma---"I tried to prove myself to you. But I know nothing of books, or alphabets, or sun, or moon, or...all I know is Joseph loves Shannon."

I managed to pack up my wet tent and leave the campground at 6:15, winding my way south and east on some of the prettiest rural roads of the trip. There was wildlife everywhere...skunks, armadillos, lime green snakes, raccoons, turtles, guinea hens, herons. I loved it. At one point, I heard what I thought was a canvas tarp, flapping in the wind...I turned and glanced over my right shoulder. 17 gorgeous horses were at a full gallop, running along with me. They passed me and veered off, climbing a southern hillside. That...was fun.








I was making good time and pretty soon Karen and Patty caught up with me. They had decided not to ride today...Patty said it was a day for my soul. It already had been. Off they drove, and I pedaled along, drinking in the beauty of the state of Oklahoma. Who knew that it wasn't all dry and scrub-brushy? This is my 10th state...and many of the places I have been so far have not looked like I imagined they would. America the beautiful.
There were fewer sag stops today. The weather was cool and I am feeling stronger. Karen and Patty had stopped in Hominy when they saw some murals painted on the walls of some of the brick buildings in Hominy. A short time later they were visiting with the artist, Cha Tullis. He is part Osage, part Cherokee. Beautiful art.











When I got to Skiatook, Karen and Patty had found a couple of good things. Lynn's bakery...and a paved trail to Tulsa. The bakery provided lemon tarts and cinnamon rolls, and the trail provided the 24 miles I needed to finish my century in Oklahoma. I love it when a plan comes together.












Stats for the day: 100.2 miles, 13.74 average, 2801' of elevation gain.
Today there was a changing of the guard. Patty leaves us to do some hiking with friends and visiting with family. My best friend Liz is taking Patty's place. We dropped Patty off at Tulsa's airport at 3:30 for her 5:00 flight, expecting to return in an hour or two for Liz, but she came running out the door...she had gotten an earlier connecting flight! Yay!
We stopped at a McDonald's late in the afternoon, which has become our ritual. We like their smoothies, and they have wi-fi so that we can catch up on our email, update the blog and share pictures from the day. Stanley loves the mango-pineapple. I talked to a couple out in the parking lot...they wanted to know whether we were heading out for a bike ride, or just coming back. Hmmm...how do I answer that? I told them about our trip and the gal tucked a $20 in my hand...I told her no, but she insisted...said to use it for gas money. Sweet couple.




Tonight we are driving to Siloam Springs, AR and staying with another Warm Showers host, Karen Tucker.
maybe you can't...because you won't...

2 comments:

  1. I love that the horses ran with you, that Oklahoma was more beautiful than you expected, that Liz cam running out of the airport...great day. I am a little surprised that Flat Stanley prefers a mango smoothie over a chocolate shake.
    Wow, 10 days already! Keep on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome day my friend. Loved hearing OKwas so nice.

    Thrilled that Liz has joined you. what a nice day you had!
    keep the rubber side down my friend. having such an adventure through your reports is good for me. love ya pal!

    ReplyDelete