May 22-July 10, 2012

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ohio---"WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHERE YOU BUY UNDERWEAR? WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? UNDERWEAR IS UNDERWEAR! IT IS UNDERWEAR WHEREVER YOU BUY IT! IN CINCINNATI OR WHEREVER!"

Laura and I left the campground at 6 and I was surprised at the number of hills we encountered. Maybe we were going to get those West Virginia hills after all. I found out later from Liz that this area is a ski area. Pretty soon we left the hills behind and were left with...corn. So.much.corn. Farm after farm was growing corn and soybeans. The terrain was gently rolling hills with sprawling houses and wrap around decks. There were big red barns with farm equipment parked alongside, waiting for an assignment.



We went through the towns of Galion and Bucyrus, Sycamore and Fostoria. It would have been a delightful ride were it not for the wind. I figure you can only love the wind about 25% of the time. The rest of the time it is annoying. Today it was just plain hard, and by the time we were done riding, I was whupped.








We loaded the bikes and headed to Morenci, Michigan to camp at Green Valley campground. We had a hard time finding anyone in charge, but finally got a phone number from one of the other campers along with directions to the tent campsites. A couple arrived in their little golf cart and though we had made reservations, she had misplaced them. She decided we should stay for free. We didn't argue. She decided we could use the pavilion...again, we didn't argue. It was wonderful to have extra time to take care of some nagging little chores that we had been putting off...cleaning and lubing the bikes, adjusting brake pads, and organizing clothes bags.





We had a fine meal of brown rice and chicken with broccoli, summer squash, and red pepper. We even had some Thai peanut sauce and a fresh green salad to go with it. But...lest you think we were only eating things that were good for us...read on.

We had had a conversation in the truck a few days ago about favorite candy bars. It's a dangerous topic for me because I like all kinds of candy, and soon after the conversation, I found a 3 Muskateers bar in my "stash" of stuff. I was going to eat it after West Virginia...celebrate after all of those hills...but then the hills never materialized and I couldn't justify eating the candy bar. Today...after the headwinds for the better part of the day, I felt entitled. I cut it up in pieces to be our dessert, but finished most of it myself. Sugar has not been good for me on this trip...the day following a lot of sugar I feel sluggish and low energy. We'll have to see how I feel tomorrow.

maybe you can't...because you won't...

1 comment:

  1. yes, my friend, Ohio has some lovely hills I recall from the year we rode the Eastern
    Tandem Rally there.

    ReplyDelete