May 22-July 10, 2012

Saturday, June 23, 2012

New York---"By all means, move at a glacial pace; you know how that thrills me."



We had planned on our usual yogurt, granola, and fruit, but when we got up at 5:00, Patty was busy making French toast. With sausage...and fresh pineapple. Oh my...we are so spoiled by these people. Larry decided to ride with us for 10 miles or so, and he was a wealth of information about the area of Rome. Did you know that the author of the Pledge of Allegiance, Francis Bellamy, is buried there? We said our goodbyes and he turned around, while we rode along the Erie canal and New York's designated Bike Route 5. Thank you both so very much for everything, Larry and Patty! It was excellent riding...along Oneida Lake...through farmland...even a few historic towns like Savannah, Clay, and Clyde.












I feel we have turned another corner. We are out of the heavy urban area states. Today, for example, we were on Route 5 the entire day...it makes a huge difference when you don't have to stop and check cue sheets, maps, and your GPS every 10 minutes. It makes a huge difference when you don't get off route...:). When we went through Bridgeport, I saw a Gramma and a Grandpa walking their grandchildren down the street. To the library, maybe? We exchanged smiles and good mornings...it is my favorite kind of scenery...people out living life, loving life. We are starting to look for road signs that are headed "west". Can I tell you that is an incredible feeling for me? I am headed "home". Highway 5 west...Interstate 90 west...I love it.








The day went by quickly, and before I knew it, I was finished. The temperatures weren't bad...maybe upper 70's, with an annoying but not demoralizing wind out of the west at 10-12 m.p.h. I rode 100.3 miles with an average of 13.7 and 1009' of elevation gain.

I had hoped to visit Niagra Falls. I have never seen it, and I am so close...but it would have taken time that we didn't have in the schedule...and traffic would have been unbearable at that time of day. Sometimes you have to compromise, and this was one of those times. Perhaps I will get to see it another time...

We all hopped (actually we are "crammed") in the truck and headed towards Pennsylvania. We stopped in Westfield for gas and ice and decided to have some dinner as well. We are spending the night with Wayne in North East. We arrived pretty late and he was gracious to offer us his entire downstairs...including the use of his laundry room. Thanks so much, Wayne, for hosting us.


maybe you can't...because you won't...

No comments:

Post a Comment