May 22-July 10, 2012

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Alaska---"The only plane in Nootsak belonged to a part-time bush pilot, gambler, and real estate tycoon named Rosie Little. While we were negotiating our deal, he introduced me to this drink that he'd invented. Known locally as "Moose Juice," it consisted of equal parts Moose brand beer and ethyl alcohol. Before I knew it, my old fear of flying evaporated and I spent all the money I had left...on 24 cases of beer."

I arrived in Anchorage around 10 p.m. and Liz's cousins Joel and Kristine picked me up.  They were awesome...set me up in the garage with a place to put together my bike, fed me salmon and rice, filled me in on the weather forecast, gave me a nice, warm bed, and best of all, promised me a 5:30 start to Girdwood in the morning.  Thank you both so very much for your generosity and hospitality.  I had the bike put together and the blog updated by midnight and was asleep by 12:03.  Seriously...










And 5:00 came mighty early.  I ate a banana and we were off.  We saw two moose alongside the road on the way to Girdwood...very, very cool.  A cyclist from Soldotna had contacted me about riding along on today's ride.  Kjell is a very fit Norwegian, and the poor guy got out of bed at 3:30 this morning to ride...and his poorer wife got up at the same time to drop him off and then head back to Soldotna.  He had on tights, booties, and several layers of jerseys...I had on sandals, shorts, a short-sleeved jersey, and a thin windbreaker.  I was woefully underdressed.








We headed south along Highway 1 and the riding was excellent, albeit cold.  A few miles into the ride Kjell had a flat.  He urged me to go on (it was the only way to stay warm) and said that he would catch up to me.  I didn't feel right about leaving him, and within a few minutes, got a phone cll from him.  "Did you bring a pump?"  I did...and turned around to take it back to him.  His CO2 dispenser had lost a screw and was not working.
After the flat was fixed, we climbed Turnagain Pass, and then Summit Lake Pass...two good climbs.  We picked up a rider east of Cooper Landing and she rode a few miles with us before all three of us stopped for breakfast.  Kimberly is an Alabama transplant who now lives in Soldotna and works as a nurse.  She and I ordered pancakes, and now I am savvy enough to ask, "How big are your pancakes?"  I ordered two, and couldn't finish them, but I was fueled to ride.


Alaska is...big.  I know Texans think everything is big in Texas, but that is only because they haven't been to Alaska.  The mountains rise with majesty and you feel insignificant in comparison.  We paralleled the Kenai River, which was this beautiful blue-green color.  I doubt the pictures will do it justice.



















We picked up several more riders in Sterling...Margaret, Lay, Jeff, and Tony.  I had estimated the distance from Girdwood to Soldotna to be 105 miles, but I was wrong...it is 110.  How do I know?  Just so happens, Kjell also uses a Garmin.  I ended the day with 110 miles, 3642' of elevation gain, and an average of around 14.  When we were riding through Sterling, I asked Kjell if we had 100 miles.  "99.7," he answered.  Someone had placed yellow signs along the road cheering me on.  It made me smile.  We kept riding until we reached the Visitor's Center in Soldotna, where Jerilue was waiting with some of her friends.
I reveled in the moment.  I had finished what I had set out to do and was ready to be done.  I showered at Jerilue's and sat down to a wonderful meal of moose lasagne.  And tomorrow, I am NOT going to ride...tomorrow I am going to fish...just for the halibut.

6 comments:

  1. We are reveling with you... Well done, friend, I am so amazed. love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like so many of the big things in life, I don't know what to say. I thought of you all day today. Much love, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Cindi........what a day you had!
    Moose sightings and companions to share your ride, what could be better than that
    have fun fishing and I will see you soon
    love
    k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Cindi, thanks for stopping by! ;)

    Way to go!

    Karen in Arkansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celebrating with you biking friend. are you sure you have your sea legs to go fishing after making little circles for 50 straight days?

    awesome thing. Never had a doubt you would get R Zdone my friend. You are amazing. loved every minute of your adventure through your blog.Now relax BEFORE you find another adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job on your accomplishment, was great riding with you (part of the way) in WA!

    Laird

    ReplyDelete