May 22-July 10, 2012

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Be Still, My Heart...

If I could leave tomorrow, I would. I am anxious. I have this gnawing feeling that if I spend too many more days doing training rides of 60 or 70 miles a day, I'm bound to have a mishap. I have had a few close calls with cars...right hooks, passing too close, turning left right in front of me at a busy intersection...sheesh.

I am creating small hills of equipment in my bedroom...camping stuff, food stuff, clothing stuff. I am itching to "pack" it...but I won't let myself...yet. While the routing is done, I don't have confirmation on all of our accommodations, so I need to make a few more phone calls, send a few more emails. The city of Gordon, Nebraska came through in a big way. There aren't a lot of options for camping in NW Nebraska, and Gordon just happens to be 105 miles from the Wyoming border. I contacted the city manager about staying at the city park and he assured me that would be fine. He also told me that the park is across the street from the police station and the tornado shelter. O...kay. That could be important because NE Nebraska often gets severe weather during the month that we will be riding through Gordon. And me with no Auntie Em in the truck...

Anchorage was another place where I was uncertain of accommodations...until yesterday. Liz has a cousin, who along with his wife, read my entire list of things I need while I'm there...ride from the airport, place to put together bike, place to sleep, place to store bike box, ride to Girdwood...and said "no problem". Wow.

I will tell you something I believe. That when you commit to something...give your heart, your energy, your resources to it...God begins to move to make the pieces fall into place for you.

I love a quote by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe-

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back--concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

It doesn't mean everything will be easy, or without what I call "snafus"...but there have been for me...both on my C2C trip and in the planning for this trip, numerous acts of unforeseen assistance. If it wasn't so full of wonder, it would almost be comical.

maybe you can't...because you won't...

No comments:

Post a Comment