May 22-July 10, 2012

Monday, April 2, 2012

A Second Helping of Nutrition

Here is the nutrition plan that Karen sent to me:
Breakfast:
(proteins, complex carbohydrates, and fats...consume at least 90 minutes before long workouts)
~2 eggs
~1/2 to 3/4 cup cooked raw oats or steel cut oats (no instant anything...the processing removes its fiber)
~1 cup low fat plain yogurt (may add berries, 1 tsp. maple syrup, or honey...Brown Cow or Stonyfield)
~low fat cottage cheese
~smoothie w/low fat yogurt
~peanut butter
~whole grain breads
~grapefruit juice
~cranberry juice
~low fat milk
~rice bran cereal
Snack: A Must!
~smoothie
~almonds
~protein bar (whey, not soy protein)
~protein drink
~berries
~yogurt
~cottage cheese
Lunch: protein, complex carbs, fats
~steak/chicken/fish/turkey
~1/2 to 3/4 cup brown rice (not instant)
~spinach salad with nuts
~avocado
~olive oil
~vinegar
~legumes
Snack: again, A Must!
See above
Dinner:
~whole grain rice
~steak/chicken/fish/turkey
~salad
~avocado
Pre-Workout Meal: 1 hour or more before workout
Protein, simple carbs...no fat (slows digestion)
~smoothie/protein shake
~protein bar
~fruit
Post-Workout Meal: Consume within 30 minutes for optimal repair and recovery
High protein, high simple carbs, no fat
~smoothie or protein drinks work best (I like Muscle Milk Light)
In liquid form, they deliver large amounts of protein and carbs with little delay
~protein bar (with some carbohydrates)
This component is not meant to be a replacement meal. It's sole purpose is for repair and recovery for the body.
Foods to avoid:
1. Deli meats (too much salt/nitrates, nitrites)
2. Sweetened fruit juices (orange, pineapple, etc.)
3. Refined sugars (candy, cookies, things like pop-tarts, doughnuts)
4. Processed foods
5. Fried foods. Special note*-Fried foods can cause hormonal imbalances that lead to, specifically in our case, a decrease in physical and mental performance, a decrease in red blood cell formation (which can reduce oxygen levels in the blood and interfere with blood flow to the muscles resulting into decreased performance).
I have been fastidious about protein right after a long, hard ride and I am reaping some benefit from that. It's not that I'm faster, but I feel stronger...have more energy when I ride, and recover easier.
My fast has come to an end, but I hope to maintain the good eating habits. Tomorrow I'll add some lean turkey breast and Greek yogurt, both good sources of protein. I am committed to staying away from sugar and processed foods. I lost about 9 pounds, and I hope it was fat and not muscle. I did a good job of combining beans and rice, legumes and grains, quinoa and nuts to get complete proteins, and had a good variety of vegetables and fruits. One of my favorite things were sweet potatoes peeled and cut into wedges, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper, put in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or so, and then under the broiler for a minute or so. Simple...and good.
Another thing I have been watching is my intake of "nightshade" foods. Potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant are nightshade plants and are believed to contribute to joint inflammation. I avoid them. Instead, I concentrate on foods which are supposed to reduce joint inflammation: tart cherries (yup...straight out of the can), blueberries, or really, any kind of berries, walnuts, pineapple, and well...there are others. I have noticed a difference...particularly in my thumb joints and knees. Just sayin'...
I know eating is a very personal thing...tastes and appetites differ, and what appeals to you might not appeal to me. Oysters come to mind...I just can't eat them. What matters is that your body is getting the fuel and nutrients it needs to work for you.
Today's ride was a little over 60 miles...2400 calories. I'm gonna need a bigger plate...
maybe you can't...because you won't...

1 comment:

  1. good going girl!

    Im more cautious with my eating now too,I easily suffer if I indulge
    too much
    sounds like you are really doing well.
    I rode today but Im still not doing big mileage... maybe I won't !

    ReplyDelete