May 22-July 10, 2012

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Whose Idea Was This, Anyway?

Blame it on Dean Karnazes. I think it was the year after my coast-to-coast ride...I saw that this man was going to run a marathon in every state...and he was going to do it in 50 days. Never mind that he had an enormous entourage...I thought it was amazing. I told my husband so. And a few minutes later, with synapses in my cortex popping like corks at a wedding, I ventured, "I wonder if I could ride a century a day...you know, 50 of them strung together, one in each state, in 50 days.". Bill looked at me with dismay. "What...is wrong with you?"
Well, that's subject matter for an entirely different blog, but suffice it to say that the idea was never too far away from my thinking. I planned a bit, and dreamed a bit, and kept myself in decent riding shape, just in case. Well, guess what? Case. This year I turn 60, and my idea has become a reality. The present I am giving myself is the opportunity and the resources to make this trip. 50 centuries, in 50 states, in 50 days. We'll have to wait and see how it all turns out. There are things I can control, like equipment, companions, and routing, and then there are things I cannot control, like weather, construction, and flight schedules. It is my ultimate road trip and I am both excited and anxious to my very core. I don't know if I can do it physically, and that is a large part of the draw for me.
"Ah but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?"~Robert Browning

maybe you can't...because you won't...

1 comment:

  1. Turning 60 should happen to us all MUCH sooner if this is the effect it has. We're rooting for you, Cindi!

    ReplyDelete