May 22-July 10, 2012

Monday, February 6, 2012

The Plan...Stan...

Logistics. "The detailed coordination of a complex operation involving many people, facilities, or supplies." I love 'em. Which is good, because this trip has a lot of logistics. I have paid close attention to the time of year, the elevation gain of the route, the "linear efficiency" of the route in relation to the state I'm going to next, the scenic beauty of the area we're riding in, the personalities and riding styles of my companions, the mechanical condition of my bikes and other gear, and the list.goes.on.
I will start on May 17 near Portland, Oregon, and drive to Santa Rosa, CA where I will pick up Karen and head to Oakland International Airport for a flight to the big island of Hawaii on the morning of May 19th. I have a coupled Rodriguez touring bike that I will be taking, and will put it together after I arrive. I'm staying with a wonderful couple that I met through Warm Showers, and you will hear a little more about that organization in a future post. It takes me an hour or two to put the bike together, and May 20th and 21st I hope to see Mauna Loa and a bit of the island. At midnight on the 21st...12:01 am to be exact...I will start riding the Kona Ironman route. Riding in the dark is not something I do regularly, but I have an excellent light (Niterider Blowtorch) and really have no choice because...well...I have a 1:00 pm plane to catch back to Oakland. I should be done riding by 10 am with just enough time for a quick shower and a repack of the bike. If I am pressed for time I will simply bag my bike and check it, but that is definitely plan B. I am taking two bikes on this trip...a Litespeed Blue Ridge will be waiting for me in Oakland for the century I will ride in California on the 23rd. My flight arrives in Oakland at 9:00 pm and Karen and I will drive for several hours before we stop for a few hours of sleep. The western states will be the toughest, and I will know by the end of the first week...perhaps by the end of the second day...whether or not I am physically capable of what I am asking my body to do.


maybe you can't...because you won't...

6 comments:

  1. Cindi, I'm glad I can host you and fellow riders as you travel through NW Indiana. Warm Showers has offered us a way to support many travelers. So glad you started this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cindi: When I posted on Facebook the fact that you were cycling 50 centuries, in 50 states in 50 days I received a number of "likes" and questions. Would you clarify something for me? So you are going to ride 100 miles (in under 12 hours) in 50 states in 50 days -- now is that 50 consecutive days? This is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I should clarify...50 consecutive centuries...i.e. no days off for this chickadee...

      Delete
  3. We are so excited to be a part of your dream....so I'll be praying you will be up to doing all of this trip,(& next year I will be 60) & yes our family also has cyclist's, but not me :). In 2008 our 2 oldest kids & a cousin biked from Portland,to Portland,OR... http://www.pedal-to-portland.blogspot.com & we will be following your trip closely, & looking forward to be seeing you & your team on June 13th. ~Ina for the Yoder's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindi, cannot wait to welcome you in CT! My team mates and I are planning a special for you. Can you already post your full schedule?

    Martin/Fairfield, CT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why Martin...I think you're prescient...:)

    ReplyDelete