May 22-July 10, 2012

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Bikin' Buddies

Several women have consented to do this trip, or parts of it, with me...they are map savvy women who run with scissors and get along well with others. Each has talents and strengths that they bring to this endeavor, and I am grateful to have them along, grateful for their friendship.
Karen Cooper-

I met Karen when a mutual friend and I delivered a car to San Francisco, pulled our bikes and bags out of the back, and started riding home to Portland. Karen met us on day 2 and rode some of that route, sagging with her vehicle when she wasn't riding. I immediately liked her...she is always eager to learn more about cycling and is organized, thinking of potential hazards before they become a liability. She rides a Sycips bike which is handmade in California, putting about 4500 miles a year on the bike. She has ridden across the United States via the Southern Tier and a year later the eastern half of the Northern Tier through Woman Tours. She was also with a group I took up through the San Juan Islands last summer for a week. Karen plans to be with me for the entire lower 48. Wow.
Patty Holt-

Patty has been riding for longer than I have and I appreciate her experience and knowledge. She has been places, knows people, and she shares that wealth of knowledge with the people around her. I love that. I met her after one of the week long tours that I organize each summer, and she has been on every one since...Coeur D' Alene, a couple of tours on the Oregon Coast, and the San Juan Islands. Patty rides a Lemond about 2500 miles a year. She has a delightful, positive outlook on life, and will be a welcome addition to our little group. She will be with me from Nevada to Oklahoma and New York to North Dakota.
Liz Wakeman-

Liz is my best friend and a partner in many of the hair-brained schemes I invent. She is always eager for an adventure and even when I get her into miserable circumstances she remains my steadfast friend and doesn't hold it against me. I trust her instincts...she considers not only the immediate impact, but the fallout and repercussions down the road. Liz rides a Surly Long Haul Trucker about 4500 miles a year, many of those with Wally, her husband, who was kind enough to share her with me for this trip. She will be with me from Oklahoma to Georgia.
Laura Schroeder-

I met Laura just last year on her first tour. She was busy introducing herself and comparing gear with the other cyclists...in the pouring rain. Her learning curve has been steep...last year she rode the Columbia River Gorge, Portland to San Francisco, and the San Juan Islands. I appreciate her optimism and dogged determination...all with a generous dose of humor. Laura rides a Cannondale about 3000 miles a year. She is also a runner and teaches 3rd grade full-time. Her husband Jon is staying home to hold down the fort and keep their dog Ruby happy. Laura will meet me in Savannah, Georgia and ride through the state of Washington.
maybe you can't...because you won't...

2 comments:

  1. I'll be following you..perhaps meeting up with you at some point to ride. You're a bold woman to do 2500 miles in 50 days.... and the thing is, I know you will do it. Pedal on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Sue...would love to see you along the way! and...just to be clear...because I love math...it will be 5,000 miles...so decide which part of that 5,000 you want to do!

    ReplyDelete