May 22-July 10, 2012

Thursday, May 24, 2012

California---"I am stuck on Band-Aid brand, cuz Band-Aid's stuck on me..."

Our Warm Shower hosts were Tim Channell and Terry Bond from Fresno. They were kind enough to allow us to descend upon them after midnight. We arrived around 1 a.m. and they had left a floodlight on the grass so that we could see to pitch our tents...even a candle to see where the floodlight was lying! They both got up to see me off at 6 this morning and I was sad that I had so little time to visit with this generous couple. Thank you both so very much!


Today's flat ride was a stark contrast to yesterday's climbing. The total elevation gain for the day was 105'. I know...almost embarrassing, huh? I have had several people tell me that the stretch from Fresno to Bakersfield is downright ugly...but I kinda liked it. There is something wonderful about all of the agriculture...acres and acres of fruits and vegetables feeding thousands and thousands of people. I saw grapes and avocados, peaches and cherries, beans and corn.

I received a present today. A tailwind. The winds were out of the NW and my average for the 100.9 miles I rode was 18.35. It actually got to the point where I would chasten myself if I looked and my speed was below 20. "C'mon, girl...you're doggin' it. If you had told me I would finish a century in 5.5 hours I would have laughed at you.





The day ended just north of Bakersfield, where I hopped in the truck with Karen and split the driving to North Las Vegas. It was a little over 300 miles...our longest driving day of the trip. I'm glad it's behind us.






We are staying with Tom and Janet Thompson, friends of Patty's, and they are wonderful. We sat down to a wonderful dinner of BBQ tritips, green salad, baked potatoes, and bread. We had the evening to rearrange all of our stuff now that Patty is on board, and I put the Rodriguez together. When I picked up the bike box at baggage claim in Oakland, one of the clamps was undone and there was an "inspected" sticker on the side of the box. The bike has some damage and it will be interesting to see how Alaska Airlines handles it. One of the nameplates on the shifter was broken and the star nut in the fork had been pulled out. They also removed the plastic protectors that I had on the wheels. I wasn't happy and will probably have to take it to a bike shop for the headset issue.






Before I forget to mention it...I am going to tell you about the incredible chance encounter I had on my flight from Kona. I was sitting in an aisle seat and there was a young, good-looking fellow in the middle seat. He was watching movies and I was trying to sleep a bit...and keep my helmet under my own seat instead of his. Late into the flight he asked me if I had gotten in some good rides. I smiled and said yes, and then he asked me where? So...I told him about my little adventure. Turns out, he is Lance Armstrong's pilot. What are the odds? I gave him one of my cards, so maybe he is following along. Hi Scott. :)

Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to be in the upper 90's...we're also supposed to have winds out of the SE...sigh.


maybe you can't...because you won't...

7 comments:

  1. Love this post =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lance Armstrong's pilot?? How cool is that! Hope you have A LOT of your cards to hand out along the way...I have a feeling you're going to need them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So. Cool. I have to say, I am inspired and you are one of my heroes. I will ride again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so fun hearing about your day....Lance Armstrong's pilot? Say what?! Better luck next time the baggage handlers get hold of your bike. Happy riding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting about meeting Lance Armstrong's pilot! Oh, the stories you will have to tell when it is all over. :-) Frustrating about your bike. You go girl, have a fantastic ride.
    Carol Wiley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! Sorry to hear about your bike issues with the TSA. Debbie and I are enjoying reading the blog. We are off tomorrow for the Columbia Gorge tour in the morning. We will miss riding with you this year. Be safe!

    Mark and Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer about the inspectiion and issues it caused. One of the things I envisioned happening even though you bike is packed safely and carefully abuse the inspeors no nothing about bikes!

    ReplyDelete